India has a long history of fashion. It dates back to ancient times. Interestingly Indian fashion always involved draping, there were no tailor made garments. Tailors were brought in India by the Mughals. It was after then that stitched garments were started.
70’s was considered the Most fashionable decade in India. Why? lets have a look.
- Mumtaz gave wearing of a saree a very different and unique silhouette. This going round twice of saree, came to be popularly known “Mumtaz Saree”, was the love of every woman of 70’s.
(Mumtaz (left) in her iconic saree; Priyanka Chopra (right) rocking the look in her movie “Teri Meri Kahani”)
- Front tied blouses anyone? Dimple Kapadia brought this look in the 70’s and it was a hit. It was sexy, hot, glamorous, kinky. No words for it. The bobby print (polka dot) was nicely complimenting the top, keeping the retro look intact while the front tied thing giving it a very avant-garde look, for that time.
- There were two absolutely contrasting trends which were going on in 70’s. On one side Dimple Kapadia was rocking the retro look, on other hand we had Parveen Babi, rocking the shimmers, jitters, sequins and glitters in her iconic Disco Look.
- Eye game of the 70’s! Be it winged eyeliner or egyptian pharaoh liner, 70’s had it all and the women rocked it. Beautifully pairing it with minimal make up, voluminous hair, called bouffant.
- 70’s was also the time of flaunting those high fashion over sized sun glasses.
- Zeenat Aman’s Hippie look from Hare Rama Hare Krishna rocked the big screen and also the minds of young fashionista’s.
So these were my reasons to call 70’s as the most fashionable decade. Think any other style should be on the list? Let me know!
I hope you enjoyed this little trip back to 70’s fashion. Have a nice day. 🙂